Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Oceanside Harbor Coaching June 15


The Criteria

Maintain and/or Increase Balance and Self Control
  • maintain below threshold in an area of multiple distractions
  • maintain below threshold in potentially reactive situations
  • provide the opportunity for the dog/trainer team to experience in a planned way, distractive and reactive situations.
  • provide the vehicle (L1, L2, behaviors ) which support the dog in maintaining or regaining threshold including: Watch, Zen, sit, down, target, Come Game
  • Loose leashes first and foremost
  • Be aware of where your dog is and adjust accordingly
Today we addressed the above Criteria by practicing the following :
To help the dogs get focussed in the car before exiting we will do L1 behaviors and include Watch


Rise and Shine Rooster..... Watch is something we spend a lot of time with and Rooster does not leave the car until I have his attention. Today he was amazing and at OH no less. When he is above threshold he will not give me his eyes. All the clicking on the video seems confusing but Jan and Nad were right next to us. The dogs seem to be able to tell the difference.



Target, another in car behavior and again Rooster is in the game.


Rooster is in the game so we added duration and distance to Zen.

Rooster earned his ticket to exit the car! After the prerequisite doodling
we moved on to LL step 1 and step 2. and other behaviors to help prepare for Thursday June 24, class.



LL Step 1 collar pressure...There is room for improvement here, not Rooster's but mine. Next time I will be better organized with the treats.




LL step 2, Dog keeps the leash loose while the dog stands in one spot for 5 seconds, then walks 5 steps forward and turns around. Rooster remains in the game. Rooster has a default sit so I need to encourage him to stand for five seconds. We have been working on standing for duration at home and will continue.

It seems to me that Rally is organized doodling so we added a bit of organization to our doodling by accepting the Flip Challenge 3.... Rally behavior Left About Turn


Even with the distractions in the area, a glance back and Rooster remained focussed. For him this is an accomplishment especially as there was a child included.

We Practiced for Flip Challenge 2: Where Can Your Dog Rest? It seemed like the perfect opportunity as we were there and so were the distractions. Also, Jan was there for encouragement. We have not worked this close to the Jolly Roger before but stayed out in the parking lot. Working at BP has provided the courage to forge ahead.



This was right at the front door of the Jolly Roger. It is the entire unedited video. Rooster was aware of what was happening around him but remained below threshold even with two men working near-by. He calmed even more as the time progressed. This was a first for Rooster and hopefully it will be the beginning of steady improvement. In the future as we continue practicing this behavior, I will hopefully not have to c/t quite as much.

The Bonus..... Rooster had such a good day I promised him a swim when we got home and then I couldn't leave well enough alone and had to toss in POOL ZEN... BMO



I have been shaping Rooster to get in the pool where I choose rather than just jumping in for a tossed toy. We also practice L1 in the pool, our version of BMO. (would that be dog-quacize ?) The Pool Zen is a challenge because the treat tends to float away.

THE END... ROOSTER HAD A LONG, GOOD, DAY TRAINING AND IS DONE.

2 comments:

  1. A picture perfect session with a perfect ending!

    Take a look at the RALLY: Left About Turn at:'http://lilyflips.blogspot.com/2010/06/rally-left-about-turn.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a nice bedtime story! I watched this just before heading off to bed and I will have the sweetest dreams now! I will dream of a day when I have a dog who can do L1 in a swimming pool! VERY COOL!!! What a wonderful peaceful sleep you must have tonight Cathy! You and Rooster are truly an inspiration! Consistent, kind, caring, and carefully thought out and well executed training improves behavior by leaps and bounds! WOW!

    ReplyDelete